I’m breaking away from the usual book chat today and doing something a little different. How about those traditional Christmas movies? I think most of us have them—the movies we watch every Christmas that help us get in that warm, fuzzy mood. Below are five movies that my family watch each and every Christmas. Do you have a few to add? Go for it in the comments!
- Home Alone. It’s a Christmastime staple. The slapping of the face. The crazy protect-the-house antics. I love it all.
- The Polar Express. This movie goes well with Christmas pajamas and hot cocoa. There will probably be singing—no—there will definitely be singing.
- Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Oh, Cindy Lou, you have a heart of gold. This is a Christmastime must. That crazy, old Grinch. We all love him.
- Elf. “Santa! I know him!” Talk about loving Christmas. Buddy has everyone beat. I LOVE the song at the end. Zooey Deschanel’s voice is good for the soul.
- It’s a Wonderful Life. This movie melts my heart. Jimmy Stewart commands the screen, and by the the final scene, movie-watchers are grateful for family and the truly important things in life. This movie even has one of my favorite movie quotes of all time: “What is it you want, Mary? What do you want? You want the moon? Just way the word and I’ll throw a lasso around it and pull it down. That’s a pretty good idea. I’ll give you the moon, Mary.” Swoon.
- The Star. I’m adding a new one to the list. My family went to the movies last week and watched this gem. Let me tell you, we’re buying this movie as soon as it’s available and watching it during Christmas from here on out. Sooooo good. It has all the traditional Christmas music, and seriously, the story of the birth of Christ is so beautifully portrayed. I may or may not have cried. Okay. You know I totally balled.